A crib is a crucial part of your child’s initial few years. A lot of attention needs to be paid in selecting the right crib for your child, not only for the aesthetics but also for its safety and functionality. Here are a few ways in which you can buy the best crib and keep your child safe while using it:
1. Bars should be spaced no more than 2 3/8 inches apart.
2. The top of the railing of the crib should be at least 26 inches from the top of the mattress. You should be able to lower the mattress as your child gets taller.
3. As per the latest recommendations of all leading Child Protection Agencies, you should not use cribs with drop rails. These are not safe.
4. Crib bumpers might seem like a good idea, but they should not be used in cribs. They pose a risk of suffocation, strangulation, or entrapment.
5. All soft furnishing such as blankets, pillows and large plush toys should not be kept in the crib at any time. Not only do they pose a suffocation risk but they can be used by kids to step up on to try and get out of the crib.
6. Place the crib away from windows, where direct sunlight and drafts can make your baby uncomfortable. Also make sure that there are no strings from blinds or curtains close by that can wrap around the baby’s neck.
7. Once your child is about 3 feet tall, he should start sleeping in a bed. If you are worried about him falling out of bed, you may use a bed railing or may want to start with the mattress on the floor.
8. Ensure that there is no gap between the mattress and railings.
9. Mattress Selection: To read more about choosing the right mattress, read our section on Mattress Selection.
10. Material Selection: To choose the right materials, read our section on Material Selection.